Sunday, September 26, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars



It's been a while since I've done a Food post... so I thought I'd share with you a recipe that I found on allrecipes for really easy and tasty granola bars.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/Easy-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx


This recipe is a great basis for making your own granola bar creations.


Base of the granola bars:


3 cups of quick oats
2 tbsp butter (melted)
1 can of condensed milk


3 1/2 cups of mix-in ingredients  (i.e. a combination of chocolate, nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, etc)


For these ones, I made two different types of.  Here are the mix-ins that I used.




First Half


3/4 cups coconut flakes
1/2 cups dried cranberries
1/2 cups mixed nuts (walnuts, peanuts, cashews - rough chopped in a processor)




Second Half


1/2 cups miniature chocolate chips
1/2 cups raisins
1/2 cups mixed nuts (same as before)
1/4 cups coconut flakes


How to:
1.  To make them, start with preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.


2.  Mix the melted butter, oats, and condensed milk.






3.  Put the dried mix-ins in a bowl (or two separate bowls).


4.  Mix in the oats mixture to the dried mix-ins (you'll need to split the mixture in half if you have 2 bowls)






5.  Cover a jelly roll pan with parchment paper.  I add a small amount of oil before putting down the parchment paper, just to help the paper stay put.  Add the mixture into the pan and press down.  It helps to use a sheet of wax paper to press down on the mixture into the pan.  You want it squished together so that it' forms a better, more solid bar.




6.  Bake for 25 minutes.


7.  Remove from oven, put on a cutting board and cut with a sharp knife or pizza cutter (tho, I think a knife might work better.


8.  Let it cool completely, and they're ready to be packaged up and/or eaten.




Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am curious- do these come out as a chewy bar, or a crunchy bar? Danny and I are considering making these for snack for his class next week...

Fe said...

@Ladyaero: These ones came out a bit more on the crunchy side. I think they'd have been chewier if I took them out a bit earlier and if I made them a bit thicker. The first set I made was about double the thickness and much chewier. HTH.

Emily said...

Made these today! Made one batch with white chocolate chips and chopped walnuts (Danny's selections) and one batch with dried apricots, chopped walnuts and mini semi-sweet choc. chips (the apricots were my idea, and the nuts and chips were what I had in the house to fill out the 3.5 C). Danny likes them both but the W. CC & nuts were his favorite (he thought the other one was too "fruity", whereas I thought it was too chocolaty and needed more fruit!).

Fe said...

@Ladyaero: Those sound like wonderful combinations. Thanks for sharing them with us. :D

Post a Comment