Thursday, November 13, 2008

Origami Iris - Revisiting an Iris Lei



So, some time ago, a friend of mine asked me if it was possible to string up the origami irises and create a lei with them. I think I said, "probably... let's try it". After we made a couple dozen origami irises, she took it home and tried it out. It turns out that the origami irises kept on fitting inside of each other making it seem like you need a whole lot more irises to make the lei.
So, recently, I decided to revisit the idea and make several on my own. I got lazy and stopped after about 9 irises, but I do believe it's possible. The trick is to put small cut pieces of straw (the kind you'd get from a fast food place, use clear in case it's visible) in between each flower. Here are pictures of my 9 strung up as the bottom part of a lei and just hanging. It looks pretty cool just hanging - not sure what to use it for tho. As a lei, I would definitely curl the petals instead of folding them down as I show in the picture. There's at least potential for something more in here. :-)

1 comment:

Captain Monkeypants said...

This is awesome! Have you ever tried Origami Christmas ornaments? Is there such a thing- that'd be cool! You have the best projects, RadLinc Crafts :)

Post a Comment