Sunday, September 6, 2009

DIY TV or Monitor Stand


I saw this on a post a good while ago, I think via IkeaHacker. Anyway, I needed a solution to place my monitor on and still have a place to put my keyboard when I'm not using it. My computer desk = my sewing table. I wanted a quick solution that also looked cool, so this solution turned out to be perfect and super easy, and did I mention cheap, way to do it. Here's how I did it.


Materials:
- pine wood (any wood should work as long as it's about 3/4 inch thick -- shelf wood works well)
- 4 door stoppers (the non coily types).



1. Cut the pine wood to whatever size you need. I wouldn't recommend making these shelves too long, as the middle area will not be adequately supported.

2. Sand down the edges and corners of the wood, it's just nicer that way.

3. Measure an inch in on both sides of each corner of the wood and mark it with a pen, or in my case, a crayon.

4. Screw on the door stopper onto the mark on each corner of the wood.



That's it. I told you it was simple. To fancy it up, you can easily have painted or stained the wood before screwing on the door stopper "legs." The best part is, it's just the right height for the keyboard to slip under and, as you see in the picture, for my dvd player to fit under. Another good thing about it is that the whole contraption is also quite cheap to make. each door stopper was only $1.50 and the whole piece of pine was about $5 of which I used the one piece for both the tv stand and the monitor stand. Woohoo!

The above picture shows my monitor stand, and the below pictures show my TV stand. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment