Friday, September 4, 2009

Homemade Plantain Chips



Plantains are a type of banana that is generally eaten cooked. I just recently attempted to prepare them as chips after tasting a bag of plantain chips. These crunchy goodies are a very tasty snack and a cinch to prepare. For these chips I use green plantains. I tried yellow plantains and it came out sweeter but it did not crisp. I think yellow (ripe) plantains would taste good pan fried with a bit of sugar for glaze... might have to try that sometime. Okay let's get cookin'.

Ingredients

- Plantain bananas (green)
- Oil (for frying)

1. Start heating up the oil. I set my fryer to 375 F and worked great.

2. Try peeling the bananas. If you have trouble use a knife to peel off the skin. Technically you can keep the peel on but I find that it gives the chips a bitter taste that I don't really like.

3. Slice the bananas really really thin... Use a mandolin slicer set to as thin a setting as you can make it (mine went down to 0.3mm, I think). You'll find that one plantain makes a good amount of chips.

4. Drop the banana slices into the fryer a slice at a time so they don't stick together. You'll want to do them in small batches so they still cook in relatively the same amount of time.



5. Place newly fried chips on some paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt. (I hear garlic on them is excellent, but haven't tried that yet).

6. Enjoy the chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment