ribbon (I'm sure you can use different media such as yarn maybe dmc thread )
Download template here.
- Create a cardboard cutout with the template. You can glue the template on the cardboard or just trace it. You can use an exacto knife to cut the circle in the middle, and scissors to cut the little notches.
Anyway, the video shows you what you need to know, but the basics are:
1. First, find the middle of the ribbon (4 ribbons with the of length 4 ft) and tied the ribbons together, then feed the knot thru the hole in the middle of the loom
2. Next, attached the ribbon 2 on top, 2 on the bottom, 2 on the left 2 on the right. I also wrote down ABCD on the template so I know what section I'm working on (just a marker).
3. For the actual braiding, remember, top right goes down, bottom left, goes up, turn disc counter clockwise and start again. :-)
4. You pretty much keep on doing that til you have the length you want. It actually takes a lot of time to get a decent length, but it looks great in the end.
5. Once you've braided to the length of the bracelet, you can make another knot at the end of the braid, I actually, just took half of the ribbons and made a knot around the other half so the knot wasn't so thick.
There you have it, Kumihimo braiding. I love the design it creates. I think this should work fine with DMC thread, but I haven't tried it. If you try it with DMC or yarn, please let me know how it goes. :-)