Friday, February 5, 2010
I had extra little candy canes from this past Christmas of which I like eating them, generally, but I always end up with more than enough (even with my occasional snacking). This is one way to transform them into Valentine candy cane hearts instead of old Christmas candy canes (same candy, yet, it sounds better.)
Oh, as a side note, and as a shout out to my cousin... it's Valentine's Day not Valentime's Day in case there was any confusion there. :)
Let's get started:
- Mini Candy Canes
- Cookie Sheet and parchment paper or silicone mat.
1. Open up the candy canes.
2. On the cookie sheet (and parchment paper or silicone mat), stack them so that they form a heart, and their ends lay on top of each other.
3. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
4. Place the cookie sheet and candy canes in the oven for about 8 minutes.
The candy canes should be soft enough to adhere to each other, but not heated thru enough to melt all the way. If pressing the candy canes together are not adhering well... stick in oven for an additional minute or two. The candy canes are hot at this point.
5. Pressing the ends together can cause a bit of a burn. If you want, you can try pushing them together with a chopstick or something. They should just smoosh together easily. When you have the perfectly shaped hearts, set aside or stick in the freezer for a minute or two (best to keep them on the cookie sheet during this process). The candy cane will go back to it's previous candy like state and you have Candy Cane hearts.
Enjoy the tasty candy cane hearts, and Happy Valentine's Day.