Saturday, August 6, 2011

Museum of Contemporary Craft in Portland, OR



Recently, I went to Portland on a business trip.  This was my first ever trip to Portland, so I tried to make the most of my short time there.  Luckily, I didn't have to go far to see some pretty awesome art.  Art work was scattered around the downtown area.  Also, I gotta thank my twitter friend and fellow crafter @SisterDiane (check out her awesome blog too) who  followed thru with some awesome suggestions of crafty places to go.  I couldn't go to all of them, but I was able to go to the Museum of Contemporary Craft.

The Museum of Contemporary Craft is a nice 2 story museum located in downtown Portland. While I was there, the exhibit was "Laurie Herrick:  Weaving Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow."  It was an amazing exhibit.  Laurie Herrick taught weaving for Oregon College of Arts and Crafts.  The exhibit was a collection of her work, as well as a contemporary perspective of 5 artists' interpretation of her patterns through a variety of new mediums. There's also a table of all sorts of mediums that people are invited to try weaving on cardboard looms.

I took pictures. :)


This one had incredible texture.

I love this pattern.  So simple and yet, not.

Here's the cardboard looms where you can try your hand at weaving.


Woven clothes.

Here's a closeup shot of one of them. I like how the colors mix.

I like this one too.  :)

 Here's a closeup.
This one was eye catching.  Very dimensional.

Anyway, if you're in the Portland area, you should totally check out the Museum of Contemporary Craft. The admission is only $3 and you can go through the whole place with a leisurely pace in about an hour.  There's also a store where you can buy things from local crafters.

3 comments:

Emily said...

We were at the county fair today and Dan (and I, watching) learned how to make a round loom out of a paper plate. You can make little bowls, purses, etc just on a paper plate, with a Popsicle stick as a shuttle. Kind of cool!

Fe said...

That does sound cool. They mostly had rectangular looms to try at the museum. Round sounds really useful for baskets and such.

scott davidson said...

"There should be pictures of food in the dining room and landscape in the living room," says my daughter, who is just starting her interior design course at our local university. So I asked her to browse to wahooart.com on the computer.
There she can choose good canvas prints to be made from a vast choice of Western art and she picked this one of fish by Braque, http://en.wahooart.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LJ278 for the dining room.

Post a Comment