Monday, June 7, 2010

Making Nylon Flowers: Series Forthcoming.

Making Nylon Flower Series:  Part 1 |  Part 2  |  Part 3

It's June.  I can't believe half the year is over and done with.  For June, I've decided to do a series on Nylon Flowers.  I've been teasing about making some posts on this subject for probably a year now, so it's about time I do so.  I've decided to split the series up in the following sections:

Part 1: Tools and Materials --- we'll discuss the tools and Materials that can be used for making nylon flowers.
Part 2: Technique, Making Petals and Assembly --- In this post, we'll discuss how to use the tools to make the flowers, some techniques that I've learned to make things a bit easier, and how basic assembly works.
Part 3:  Making Plumerias --- In this post, we'll actually make a plumeria branch.  I'll go thru additional techniques of making these flowers.



At the end of the series, I plan on doing a giveaway.  So stay tuned, it's gonna be fun!  In the meantime here's a bit more about nylon flowers, as well as a youtube video. Gotta love youtube!

*Update: Just posted the Giveaway!!! Enter to win the "The Art of Nylon Flowers" Book Giveaway here.





The art and craft of nylon flowers involves wrapping nylon fabric around wired forms, shaping and assembling like sections (petals) to create a flower.  Of course, it doesn't have to be flowers that you create.  Nylon creations can be many other things such as butterflies, ladybugs, dragonflies, bees, etc.  My parents actually have a mobile of nylon butterflies hanging up in their room for as long as I can remember, even before I realized it was even a craft.  This craft has been practiced in many countries and is still quite popular in Asia, Europe, and in North America. As the craft advances, with better material and new techniques, the results are stunning and more realistic looking flowers.

As a small teaser, tho it's not the flower I'll be tutorializing in Part 3, here's a great video on how a nylon calla lily is made.



For supplies, etc, check out   http://www.newsheer.com

Stay tuned next week for our first installment of the Nylon Flowers Series. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment