Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pledging Beanies



Last week, through an email chat with my good friend and loom knitting buddy, I decided to make a pledge to make as many beanies as I can from now (Dec 1, 2010) till the end of January (Jan 31, 2011) for donation to headhuggers.

Headhuggers is a project started by Sue Thompson, who accepts donated handmade beanies and caps (sewn, crocheted and knitted), and distributes them to hospitals and oncology offices, etc to patients who may have lost their hair due to chemo or any other reason.  The beanies and caps will help keep their heads warms because of all the suffering they already go thru, a cold head shouldn't be one of them.

Last year, I teamed up with a friend who wanted to learn how to loom knit and we managed to finish 5 to send to Headhuggers.  Sue was super nice to send a letter to me, thanking me for the caps, and explaining to me where they were being sent to.  Our caps ended up helping out a burn center in San Francisco.  It felt awesome to be able to help them out.  So, this year, another friend and I are going to team up to make more beanies.  With the winter months upon us, I'm sure the beanies will be much needed.

So, I thought I'd make a pledge to you all that I will make a total of 10+ beanies for the next two months for headhuggers.  I figure that this way, I can't back down.  It's official and failing is just not an option. ;)  Plus, I get to help more people which is a reward in itself.

I'll try to keep you up to date on the beanies that I make. The picture above are some beanies made in the past.  I forgot to take a picture of the ones we donated. D'oh!

If you're interested in donating handmade beanies, check out the headhuggers site: http://www.headhuggers.org/  You'll find info on the project as well as a lot of cool patterns.

Happy Loom Knitting, Crocheting, Knitting, or Sewing. :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

I just bought the yarn for a new project- crocheting a blanket for Bryce for Christmas (shhh...it's a surprise). Since I haven't really crocheted since I was little (I've done some knitting in the past couple of years, but no crocheting), it'll be a challenge! I'll make a pledge that any leftover yarn I have from the blanket, I will turn into beanies for headhuggers (though I make no promises as to when!).

Fe said...

Yay! That makes me happy! Happy Crocheting, I'm sure the blanket will turn out great, and I'm sure Bryce will love it.

Post a Comment