Friday, July 10, 2009

DIY Aquarium Tunnel



I found the idea for this tunnel at a pretty cool diy aquarium site. My goldfish tank has been without decor for way too long, so I decided to give this a shot and give them some place to hide in. Because I used a connector, I didn't want to try cutting it, so my tunnel is a bit different from the plans on the aquariumlife.net


Here's how I made it:

Materials
- PVC Y connector for a 4 inch pipe.
- hot glue gun (or acrylic aquarium glue)
- aquarium rocks



1. Put glue on PVC pipe. Cover glue with rocks. (Be careful not to burn yourself... it hurts quite a bit.) Try to cover as much of the PVC surface as you can.

2. Let dry for an hour (or longer if using the acrylic aquarium glue).

3. Rinse, and place in the tank.



Super easy to make, but it takes a really long time to put the rocks on the glue. The next time I do this, I think I'll use a smaller pipe, and maybe I'll try aquarium glue as the hot glue was pretty painful, and took way too long to use. Oh well... it looks good... and I'm just waiting to see my fish swim through it.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Cool- unfortunately, Stripey is so big now, I don't think he'd fit...he mostly likes to hide his head behind his big plant (I make sure it's always near the back corner so he has a semi-hiding place) and take naps (he is 3 1/2 years old, after all). He has a big rock with a hole through it, but his big fan tail has always kept him from going through it. Have the fishies tried their tunnel yet?

Fe said...

Hi Ladyaero,

Yes, the fish did try out their tunnel. I was quite excited to see them use it. :-)

Wow, 3 1/2 years? That's great. Well done on keeping Stripey for that long. It's a lot of hard work.

alex said...

Great post.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Otocinclus_macrospilus

Post a Comment