Saturday, January 18, 2014

Relay For Life 2013

I'm still playing catch up...

Last year, I participated in my second year of Relay For Life.  My sister and I captained a team called "Just Keep Swimming" at the Relay For Life of Pasadena.  It was exhausting, fun, and above all, rewarding.  If you don't know what Relay For Life is, it is a 24 hour walking relay fundraiser to raise funds to fight cancer, to raise awareness, and most importantly to honor survivors and to remember all of those lost to cancer.  For me, I relay in memory of my dad, as well as other family and friends that we've lost.  I also relay to honor those that have made it through their fight. There are Relays all over the world, so chances are there is one near you. I would definitely recommend checking it out.  http://www.relayforlife.org/

Anyway, for our team we did some booth decorations, as well as gave away ribbons and sold lap bead lanyards.  Here are some pictures:

Ribbons that we gave away, each ribbon color represents a different type of cancer, or a survivors. The banner was made with a half of a twin bedsheet (from Walmart) and some fabric paint.  And the fishes were made with paper lanterns, googly eyes and cardstock.

One of the most moving and special parts (in my opinion), is the luminaria ceremony.  These are some of the luminaria bags that our team created last year.

This year will be my 2nd year being a team captain, and my 3rd year of Relay.  If you'd like to support me and/or my team, we'd really appreciate it.  If you're in the area and would like to join us in the relay, come and join our team.  Every step and every dollar is just that much closer to a cure.





No comments:

Post a Comment