Friday, September 30, 2011
September is National Sewing Month. For the last day of the month, I thought I should post a sewing project. (just barely made it -- Thank goodness I'm in PST) So here goes.
These are sewn wine glass coasters. This is a perfect project for some coordinating fat quarters.
- fabric square (8"x 8") (This worked for all but one of my wine glasses - for that one, I could have used a 9"x9" square).
Here's how to make them:
1. Fold the diagonal with the wrong side out.
2. Sew mostly around the diagonal, leaving a small opening in the middle of one of the sides. (I find it makes a more perfect straight edge when your opening is in the middle.
3. Turn it inside out (or right-side out), using a pen or a dowel of some sort to make crisp corners.
4. Iron the triangular piece.
5. Sew a line along the long diagonal edge.
6. Fold the 2 corners up to make a square. If necessary, you can iron it down like this.
7. Sew around the square.
That's it. Your coaster is complete. Remember to make coordinating fat quarters in a set, rather than the same fabric. That way, it can work as a marker too (so you know which wine glass is yours).